Thursday, August 03, 2006

Old Stone Fort

by geophile

The Old Stone Fort in Tennessee is a combination earthwork and stonework, and as such another potential link between the mounds, which are recognized, and the stonework, which is not as yet. A larger percentage of this site is of stone, compared to the Fort Ancient site in Ohio. This article on the Megalithic Portal was submitted by someone who is into ley lines and dowsing, but it also includes less subjective material, including pictures, and is worth a look.

3 comments :

JimP said...

I'm confused about one of your points. Are you saying the stonework at this particular site in Tennessee is not recognized? Or do you mean stonework in general is not recognized?

The reason I ask is because there are two stonework sites in Rhode Island that are indeed recognized as bona fide Native American archaeogical sites. One has been conserved by a town, the other is a National Heritage site.

I'm just trying to understand your meaning a little better.

Geophile said...

My point was that most eastern stonework sites are not officially recognized. I apologize for my lack of clarity.

JimP said...

Okay, thanks for that. I agree that, "dancing places," "calendar sites," and other spiritually and culturally significant stonework sites remain unrecognized.

The only point I want to get across is that there is indeed a precedent for the recognition of Native stonework as it relates to, "forts." I think that's part of the problem. The view prevalent in the 19th century that Native people were, "war-like," contributes to the racism that still exists today.

That site in Tennessee is indeed considered a, "fort." It's probably far more significant than that. Thanks for sharing the link -- very interesting stuff.