Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Mt Agamenticus, York Maine - from Nan Millett

Nan Millett is one of the Acton Land Stewards. She writes in:

Here are the photos I took when Hart and I visited Mt. Agamenticus in York, Maine last April. I have done some poking around to find out more about what we found there but so far it is only about colonial period. I sent an e-mail to Ros Strong and she said there wasn’t much on native there. . All the info on the area seems to leave off any mention of natives using the spot. It is a high lookout type of Mt. and overlooks the ocean as well the rivers, etc .To the N/W, Mt. Washington is in view. It is a very commanding area. There is a road to the top with a parking lot and lodge.

Pics # 2062--68 are of the boulder on the S/W off the trail by about 12 '. It is a fairly open area on top of the Mt. Boulder is on ledge. A lot of this area is exposed ledge.

#2072 and 73 is of an particular (shaped appearing) stone that was on a pile by the parking area. The pile was mostly of plain vanilla rocks and bits of rubble, brick and cement. This stone caught my eye. It was different and I took these two photos.
One week later we were on the Mt. again and I went to take another look at the "special stone". I couldn't find it on the pile where it had been the week before. I finally discovered it, lying by itself, on the grass. It was about 10', uphill from the pile. I took #2114 at that time.

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

The "table rock" looks interesting, but before pronouncing that it is the real deal, meaning ancient or Indian, I'd like to know something about its size and whether there is lichen buildup on the supporting stones. It reminds me of the examples in Parker Woodland in RI and Foxboro State Forest in MA, both of which are probably significantly larger.

Anonymous said...

we need to talk, Bear Spirit Walking on Face Book thank you

Nhguy said...

I can show you about 50 cairns and native features around that mountain.

Nhguy said...

I can show you about 50 cairns and native features around that mountain.