Monday, February 12, 2007

Preview of week for Feb 2007

I had a decent weekend of exploration with the bonus of being guided to a site on Sunday - taking the guesswork out of things.

On Saturday, I found a smidgen of a rock pile site in Boxborough at a place where the Fort Devens stone-wall map indicates irregular stone walls. I'll talk more later about this as a strategy for locating sites. Anyway after that I had time to cruise to the other side of the valley, in Littleton, and take some photos of the well-known stone chambers (I think there might be 3) along Whitcomb Ave. Then I went to explore near a site I knew, just to see if there were some more piles to one side of it - there were.

On Sunday, the plan was to go to meet a guide to a site in Wayland. I was shown a huge solitary rock pile, with a bit of a retaining wall, in a style we have discussed here recently. That was pretty impressive and on the way back to the car we stopped at a place which (I should have recognized as somewhere) I had been before, for a few more pictures.

So I'll be rolling out some descriptions as time permits in the next few days. Hope it is interesting.

No comments :