Friday, October 09, 2009

Southern Callahan State Park - Framingham, MA.

The blue outline on the map is supposed to represent a place on the "Lady Slipper" trail just east of a wet place. Also just east of the intersection with the "Chickadee" trail. Speaking of "outlines" I found lots of them at this site. Some were probably fire places, others I doubt.

I walked down here from the access roads to the left and walked just a little further, just a little further, till I had to check out the rocky bump across the wetland and under the pine trees. And I found what seemed an isolated rock pile.
But it was in such a prime location - a little outcrop with water in several directions, I had to take it seriously. And there were five or six other rock pile-like structures nearby.There was a lot of campfire activity nearby and in several places I could not decide if it was a normal fire circle.:
This ain't no circle:Here is another rock pile:
And another couple of outlines:This last was a really good one, easy to see as other than a fireplace and pretty wide. But what about this one:This really is a classic spot situated on a low knoll with water nearby. The first rock pile, was not really so isolated after all.There were also piles built along the stone wall:Here, for sure, are some fire circles; you can see the trail.Once again, here is the trail map. "Lady Slipper" and "Chickadee" are near the bottom.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

I come across these rings here and there also, and I wonder who would of built a fire in some of these odd locations as I find them. Who would have been in the woods at such a locations etc.? It always makes me think. Some locations are just really a boring place to camp or cook a lunch etc. I just can't picture a boy scout troop in the 1950's (or before) camping at some of these places I find. A camp ring would also be very large. some rings I find are very small?
Keith

pwax said...

I look for charcoal or signs of the rocks being heated. Without either, I start being suspicious it is not a fire place.