Monday, October 05, 2015

Back to Conscience Hill

All the available woods around Millstone Hill (the MIT observatory in Westford/Groton) have rock piles. I doubt I recorded all the nearby places I found, or others found. The sites along Davis Rd (actually in Tyngsborough) are extensive, recent, and somewhat unique.

I never published any of the sites with a map, so there it is. I went back to Conscience Hill (which is just off the lower edge of the map, shown in pencil) because I wanted to poke around in a woods where I could easily hope to see something new - and I really wanted to get in behind the houses in the piece of woods between Davis and Ingalls. I parked south of Conscience Hill and got into the woods, went north, snuck across Ingalls Rd. and spent a pleasant time heading north  and then southwest where I hoped to (and did) pop out behind the major site in there. I actually got caught trespassing, but it was ok. Sure enough those woods are full of little sites and the main one just keeps on going uphill (as indicated by faint pencil marks). Like a few sites I mentioned recently, these piles went along with short stretches of stone wall. Shall we look at some pictures?
Just northeast of Conscience Hill is a small site on a low rise. Here the owl presiding over the piles is more interesting than the piles themselves - which were indistinct, buried, ground piles. See the owl?
Then up in there, I think north of Ingalls, was a site made of mostly single rock-on-rock. Like this:
 
 [Note that the upper rock, above, is deliberately broken into a symmetric shape.]

 All of these upper rocks looked deliberately shaped.
Here is a little something on the ground. The middle rock has a bit of fire staining.
Then, right up at the north end of the piece of woods east of Davis Rd, right up behind the houses, were some more rock-on-rocks and some senses of alignment:
It was not just rock piles in line. Here are some larger boulders in a line.
And now, working our way towards Davis Rd, we start to see more substantial piles.
 



Here is the short stretch of wall I mentioned, a couple hundred yards uphill from Davis Rd:
Note the little "enclosure" at the near end. 

In the next, note the parallel flat vertical surfaces:
Or is it a "gap" pile with a hint of a pathway designed to go between the two pieces of pile? How about this one:
I wonder if there are not two pathways, one between and one below. From a few feet away:
Then if that is not a pathway, this sure better be one:
Side views of the two sides of this "path": 

It does not get better than that. 

2 comments :

Curt Hoffman said...

Peter -
What was found at the other 3 sites marked on the map? As far as I can tell, all of these images are from the one site east of Davis Rd.

pwax said...

Gap piles